The Center for Conservation Peacebuilding offers workshops designed to build the capacity of individuals and teams to collaboratively engage in the theory, principles, and practice of transforming complex conservation conflicts. Offered at both ‘fundamentals’ and ‘advanced’ levels, workshops are held in a variety of geographic locations and may be open to the public or privately contracted.
What can I expect from a workshop?
The objective of CPeace’s workshops is to improve the ability of leaders, practitioners, stakeholders, and teams to better understand conflict dynamics and establish more effective skills, processes, and strategies to address them. Participants will accomplish this by drawing on best practices in conflict transformation and related disciplines that are applicable to and proven in these deep-rooted conflict realities. As a result, participants will possess a broader set of capacities to ensure that institutional, team, community, and individual actions are more strategic, context-appropriate, and meet with higher social receptivity and less unintended collateral damage.
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply the theory, principles, skills, processes, and strategies of conservation conflict transformation (CCT) in their projects and programs
- Employ 1-2 analytical tools to investigate and monitor conflicts in their professional work
- Recognize individual reactions to conflict and develop strategies for effective responses
- Understand the complex, diverse, and deep-rooted conflicts impacting conservation agencies/organizations, programs, and projects
- Design and lead a range of conflict transformation processes
- Develop site- or context-specific Conservation Conflict Intervention Plans for transforming a current conflict (3-5 cases per workshop)
- Improve strategies to engage multiple sectors, stakeholders, and resources to address conservation needs and challenges
- Co-create an ongoing peer-to-peer network and community of practice with their cohort and course instructor
Benefits of Improved Professional Capacity to Analyze and Address Conflict:
- Improved team, stakeholder, and partner relations resulting in increased efficiency and durability of conservation or management actions
- Conservation ventures will yield a higher return on investment due to the positive changes in social conditions within the conservation or societal context
- Increased understanding of complex system dynamics that impact long-term change
- Improved ability of individual actors and teams to anticipate and quickly address any new conflicts or potential conflicts that may arise
- Improved ability to replicate effective processes and relationship dynamics across projects/sites/contexts
- Reduction in negative perceptions of an agency, organization, community, or group and their actions
- Less resources need to be diverted to address resistance or backlash tactics that may result from unpopular, untrusted, or misconstrued projects/actions
- Increased effectiveness and a higher likelihood of reaching project goals
- Improved internal and external communication, cooperation, and collaboration
- “This is the best investment I have ever made in conservation and my career!”
- “This is the most amazing course I have ever done…I cannot recommend it enough. It revolutionizes community work.”
- “What a great experience! I feel privileged to have been able to attend this workshop, which has positively and permanently changed the way I will work with people and deal with conflicts. I don’t remember the last time I was so interested and excited to learn. The process design helped to create a trusting environment between the participants. Both the content and the execution of the workshop was way beyond what I had expected coming into it.”
- “Francine Madden and CCT rocked my world! I came away feeling like I GET IT!”
- “The CPeace conservation conflict transformation workshop has truly changed my perception of conflict. I now feel empowered in these conflict situations, whereas before I felt frustrated and overwhelmed. With this training, I now have the tools and confidence to meet my conservation goals.”
During this time of physical distancing, we are providing more online and remote opportunities to engage with CPeace. Learn more here.
Online Web Sessions: Introduction to Conservation Conflict Transformation (2 hours)
For those who wish to learn more about CCT as an approach to turn conflict into opportunity. This session will introduce participants to analytical tools to understand conflict and explore conflict cases that demonstrate the impact of this approach.
Dates: TBD (Fall 2020)
Location: on Zoom
Fees: These are pay-what-you-can sliding scale session: $75-150.
Register: Please complete this form in order to begin the registration process. Your registration will be finalized once CPeace confirms your registration.
Online Fundamentals of Conservation Conflict Transformation (40 hours)
For those who wish to build their capacity to collaboratively engage in the theory, principles, and practice of transforming complex conservation conflicts.
Date: 5-9 October 2020
Time: TBD based on time zones, 40 hours total
Register: This workshop is currently full – please complete the registration form to join the waitlist. Please complete this form in order to begin the registration process. Your registration will be finalized once CPeace receives your payment.
POSTPONED: Community of Practice Hands-On Collaborative Workshop in Conservation Conflict Transformation
For those who have already completed a 4-5 CCT Workshop. Come join us for an exciting, rejuvenating, advancing, deep-dive workshop. Bring your challenging cases, questions, and lessons learned. Peer-to-peer learning and hands-on collaborative engagement in your real-world cases will ensure that you leave with greater clarity and advanced strategy to tackle critical “next steps” in advancing process in your work. Please note: This workshop is not a replacement for the CCT Advanced Workshop.
Location: The Pearlstone Center, Reisterstown, MD USA
Fees: All-inclusive $1,700 (early-bird rate before May 1, 2020), $1,900 (after May 1, 2020). This fee includes lodging, meals, and workshop registration.
Register: Please complete this form in order to begin the registration process. Your registration will be finalized once CPeace receives your payment.
We look forward to working with you!
For more information on additional opportunities, options, and fees, please contact us.